Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Land Warrant Of Fifer William Hines

One reason I started the "War Of 1812 Chronicles" was to focus on my presumed War of 1812 ancestor, William Hines/Hinds.

Following up on ideas found in an NARA article about researching War of 1812 ancestors I searched Ancestry.com and produced the following documents on William Hines (and an index where Document #632 was found).  Was he my William? No.


Hines was identified as...a musician in Captain Phillips' Company in the Corps of Artillery on Document #632  issued by Secretary of  War J.C. Calhoun on March 2, 1818.  My William was a soldier in the Artillery..... .  The authorization for this land grant was the Second Section of an Act of Congress dated May 6, 1812 to issue land warrants.... .  Ancestry.com. U.S. War Bounty Land Warrants, 1789-1858 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA


My William Hinds died 25 June 1813.  He was #6170 in U.S. Army, Register of Enlistments (Image 615 at Ancestry), and different from #6172 William Hinds, fifer, U.S. Art. Corps., with Capt. Philips', who enlisted 20 Dec 1814 at Fort Clark and discharged at Fort Clark August 21, 1815, found in the same list (Image 616).

The land warrant was not issued to the heirs of my William Hinds.

No comments: