Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Canada's Fort St. Joseph

In 1796 it [Fort Mackinac] was handed over to the United States to fulfill a clause in Jay's treaty of 1794 and consequently the British garrison was removed to the Island of St Joseph.

In the fall of 1801 a detachment of the Queen's Rangers was ordered to Fort St Joseph, a post on the island of the same name near the head of Lake Huron.  [Source]

See a modern day map here.  Bicentennial celebrations mentioned here.

No comments: