*An artist's rendering of Fort Knox located near Vincennes, Indiana:
Ft. Knox 1803 - 1813In 1803 the federal government gave approval for the construction of a new fort near Vincennes. Ft. Knox, named for Secretary of War Henry Knox, was eventually built on a bluff overlooking the Wabash river, three miles north of the village. The outpost remained somewhat inactive until the increased tensions of 1811 brought about a heightened interest in improving the fortification. Archaeological findings in the 1960's indicated that the fort's design may have resembled this artist's rendering.