From the Livonia Gazette at Fulton History:
After the colonies gained their independence, there was still the ever-present possibility of renewed hostilities with England as well as the danger of Indian attacks. As a precaution, every able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 45 was required to belong to the militia. Local training sites for the militiamen included Dennison's Corners, Doolittle's Tavern on the site of the Annis farm, Crockett's Corners in Conesus, and in Lakeville and on the oval in front of the Presbyterian Church in Livonia Center. William Wadsworth of Geneseo helped direct training programs and later commanded during the War of 1812.
Many of the men in the militia units eventually served in the War of 1812. Again, the names, as recorded by Miss Meagher, ring familiar: Silas Acker, Augustus Annis, Peter Pitts Barnard, Asa Dennison, John Fitch Reed, Philip Short, Tyranus Ripley, Harvey Stedman and Elisha Webster, just to name a few.