Near present day Terre Haute, Indiana.
The Fort was to be a storehouse of supplies for the army and a protection in case of a defeat or disaster in the campaign. The site selected was the point nearest the Indian boundary that was suitable for a fort. It was on a sharp eastward bend of the river so that there was a good view both up and down stream. The gate was on the east. The fort was finished October 23, 1811.