|Jim's Photo Of Clifton Mill|
The Clifton Mill website stated that:
"The first mill at this site was built in 1802 by Owen Davis, a Revolutionary War soldier and frontiersman miller. The mill was built in this location to take advantage of the natural power of the concentrated water funneled into the gorge. Owen Davis and his son-in-law, General Benjamin Whiteman [link added] also built a saw mill and a distillery."
General Benjamin Whiteman's memorial at FindAGrave.
The Ohio legislature created a fifth division in February, 1813, under Major General Benjamin Whiteman [link added]. [Source]