|Source [Albany City Directory]|
The post-office in Albany has been located in different places.
During the war of 1812, in this old corner was a drugstore, kept by Jacob Mancius, and in the rear of it, in a room seven by nine, was kept the city post-office. The postmaster employed but one clerk, who attended the drug store and assisted in opening and putting up mails, and the delivery of letters and papers. During the season of river navigation, sailing vessels brought the mails to and from New York City. In the winter they were conveyed by land carriage. The post-office was a one-horse concern; but then, as now, everybody was anxious to learn the latest news. [Source]