From Collections of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Volume 3:
In 1807, Major John Whipple was in command of the fort in Detroit. The above paragraph described how the pickets were aligned around the old fort. "The main guard was posted at the Indian council house, where the new Fireman's Hall* now stands.... ". *Near the Renaissance Center and the tunnel entrance connecting Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, Canada, under the Detroit River.
"The pickets remained around town when the War of 1812 began."