William Jennings, with his regiment of Kentucky riflemen, was ordered by General W. H. Harrison to cut a road from Fort Barbee at St. Marys to a point midway between that place and Defiance, and there establish a Fort. The post was completed on this site in October, 1812, and named in honor of its builder. The road begun by Col. Jennings was later extended to Fort Winchester by Col. Poague, builder of Fort Amanda. The Auglaize River Valley then became a major supply artery for Harrison's army, operating to the northwest by boat and wagon in summer and by sled in winter. Troops and large quantities of army stores were moved through here to the scenes of major actions. The town of Fort Jennings was founded in 1847.